Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Hardest - But Most Rewarding - Job in the World

I want my children to be independent people who can make wise choices on their own. I want them to be confident people who aren't afraid to be bold and unique. We all want that for our children.
Queenie is rolling right along. I have no worries about just how independent and unique she will be. She's pretty responsible too. She's an all A student and she keeps up with all her work. Her room looks like a teenage girl's room, though, we're working on the mess.
The Flying Monkey has a little way to go, he's young. But he is a responsible little guy at preschool, he knows the drill.
Number One Son I struggle with. He's my baby, I'll be honest. I have a hard time letting him do things on his own. But I have started cutting the apron strings. One thing I did was leave his book report that was due this week completely up to him. He is old enough to know when it is due and what he needs to do to get it done. He didn't do it. And I am kicking myself because I feel like I should have kept bugging him about it. He probably would've done it had I done that. I realize, though, that would not have helped him in the long run.
He will turn it in tomorrow with points taken off for being late, and it will be an awesome report. But it will be late and I hope that will be the kicker for him to realize he has got to step it up.
I am in tears right now as I type this, though.
I know ultimately, this is a lesson he had to learn from his teacher. Not me. But you know, I'm his mom.
Whoever said parenting was easy if you did it right was out of their mind. It's the hardest job in the world, if you're doing it right. If it's easy, you must not be doing it right.
But I wouldn't have any other job. I love my benefits. :)

5 comments:

Rachel H. said...

Awh...I know that it must be so hard! I know that I will feel the same way when I'm in your shoes! You want too help, but sometimes they have to do it on their own!

Jim Duggan said...

And what a mother you are!

Boss Lady said...

Man oh man, today was a bugger of a day. Many other things happened, I felt like such a failure...
But like I said, it's not easy!

Jim Duggan said...

You are the mother of three beautiful kids and one questionable husband! You are doing so much better than you give yourself credit for . . .

just don't eat my cookies!

Stephanie said...

I recently had to cut the strings with Madi also. She turned in a project late for science. She has all A's but struggles in science. So it was not the best class for her to get points off. But...hopefully she will remember next time!