Sunday, October 28, 2007

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

I love movies. Comedies, dramas, suspense and even the cartoons. And as much as I hate to admit it, I do love horror movies. Not all of them, I really just don't get this new genre of horror film (ie Saw, Hostel). But the old school suspense/horror movies, I dig 'em.

So in honor of the Halloween festivities that are upon us, I give you MY top 12 Best Horror Movies. Why 12? Because that's how many I chose. Now there are definitely more on my favorite list, but these are the ones I am able to watch without a pillow in front of my face the entire time. There are lots more that I like to watch, but with the lights on and with a room full of people. I so love scary movies, but I am still a good old scaredy cat!

12) Pet Sematary - Stephen King is my favorite horror writer - who am I kidding, he's the only horror writer I read - and this one moved to the big screen quite well. Always be nice to your pets & your family, because they could come back. Super creepy movie, love it!





11) Twilight Zone: The Movie - This movie was not the 4 star, 2 thumbs up film of the year, but I think it's great. Great suspense and "hide your face" moments with a little comedy thrown in for good measure. I saw this one as a kid and I've loved it ever since. "Wanna see something REALLY scary?"





10) Children of the Corn - The Eew & Ick Factor is in great abundance in this cheesy 80's horror flick. Creepy kids in a creepy town off the beaten path in the middle of nowhere. Beware, it's disturbing. Watch it during the day with a friend.






9) Jaws - No explanation here. Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water, no one swims in the ocean anymore without looking around just to be sure!






8) Psycho - The reason I only stay at big name chain hotels that are in big commercial clumps next to the highway. It also stars the original scream queen, Janet Leigh.





7) The Fog - This is the original which was made in the 80's. So scary I can't even explain it. Limited special effects, a bit cheesy compared to what film makers are rolling out now, but made so well. What we DON'T see is very frightening.





6) Cujo - Bad dog.









5) From Dusk till Dawn - George Clooney, Salma Hayek, Cheech Marin and vampires. An excellent hour and a half if I do say so.







4) Night of the Living Dead - Man oh man. I was in college before I ever saw this and when it started I thought, this movie is old and stupid. No. Old and scary. A must see. Watch with a buddy, you'll need them.






3) The Lost Boys - Slick and young, this was the first "horror" movie I ever saw in the movie theater. I saw it after school one day with a bunch of friends. One of my favorite movies to this day. I knew Kiefer was a star before Jack Bauer was even a glimmer in the "24" producers' eyes.





2) Scream - The return of the classic horror film with extra stylish gore included. Thank you Wes Craven!







1) Halloween - This movie has it all and rightly deserves my number one spot. Suspense, thrills, gore, Scream Queen Jamie Lee Curtis - daughter of the original scream queen - and the man himself, Michael Myers.






I am sure my list is different than yours, but this my blog, so it's my list.
Have a spooky, creepy, scary Halloween!!!!

7 comments:

Mandy said...

Okay, no. I don't like any of those movies. Then again, I don't like scary movies at all...But like you said, it's your top 12! ;o)

Boss Lady said...

Scary movies are definitely an acquired taste!
Happy Halloween! :)

Stephanie said...

I'm with Mandy...no thanks to scary movies. I used to have nightmares from Rescue 911 :)

Jim Duggan said...

Considering my line of work . . . movies are not scary.

Boss Lady said...

Skittle: How could you have nightmares about those cute paramedics?

Jim: This is true, Michael Myers is pretty tame. ;)

Drew Porterfield said...

Jim... you hit the nail on the head! HA! Here's my list just for kicks and giggles... even though it's already the 5th of November.

10) The Village - Scary concept. Living in a village surrounded by the woods that have creatures lurking about ready to come raid the homes if a sacrifice isn't made on a regular basis... sounds kind of like a Baptist Church...

9) Cujo - I'm in the agreement with the lady here...bad dog. I still don't trust St. Bernard's because of this one.

8) The Shining - "Heerree's Johnny!" Creepy and twisted...and it has Jack playing a wacko to the nth degree.

7) Alien - Suspense was created in this out of space thriller. It's the waiting that gets you.

6) Poltergeist - Makes my skin crawl when I hear that noise in the TV.

5) Night of the Living Dead - Not as gory as the remakes and updated ripoff versions - Romero knew how to make it realistic without all of that - and that's what makes it so freakin' scary!

4) 13 Ghosts - This is just weird - but the supernatural can be that way.

3) It - Stephen King's sleeper is as scary as he is. This should have gone to the silver screen instead of mini-series - it would have more notoriety today for it's ghoulish concept.

2) Halloween - Just the piano run can make you turn around and see if anything is behind you...even during daylight hours!

1) Blair Witch Project - People think I'm weird for saying this is the scariest movie ever made... but if you can get around the snot being dropped on the camera lens - this is skin-crawling scary. If you've ever been alone in the woods at night - you'll know what I'm talking about. I don't care if you're simply sitting in a deer stand with a loaded gun in the wee-hours of the morning... if you hear a blood-curdling scream in the not too far off distance and hear footsteps lightly walking...your goosebumps will rise up and holler! Anytime you get a chance - watch that one in the darkest room just past the hour of midnight by yourself... and just see if you don't completely lose it when the camera is dropped on the cabin floor...

Boss Lady said...

Good ones Drew! Thanks for sharing! Those are great!