Thursday, October 4, 2007

Oblivious

I know you have all encountered people who are oblivious to the world around them. Oblivious that there are other people going through life around them. You know, those who are busy talking on their cell phone in the grocery store check out line loudly enough for the butcher in the back of the store to hear. Just an example.
I know I have been guilty of being oblivious myself, but I do try not to be.

I had to go have a wonderful pap smear & mammogram today, always a joy, a yearly appointment I look forward to with great anticipation. Not really. My doctor's office treats a melting pot of patients, from women in for routine checkups, moms having prenatal exams, postnatal exams, women battling infertility issues to women dealing with serious health issues such as cancer.
I encountered an "obliviot" this morning while in the "2nd waiting area." (I love that obliviot term - I'll try not to use it often, as I did not create it)

This lovely young woman (I guess she was a woman as she was visibly pregnant) was waiting in the waiting area, obviously for a prenatal visit. She looked all of 15. Really. And she had a cute little boy with her, a toddler, probably not quite 2 years old. He called her Mama, so I assume he was hers too.

Her apparent age is not what griped me, for age does not equal obliviousness. (Some of the most considerate people I've ever met are young while some of the most oblivious people I've ever encountered are old & crotchety) What I found annoying was her need for all the women in the waiting area to look and smile and comment on her precious little one. She would talk to him, smile, and look at all of us for approval. Granted, he was adorable. But like I said, this office treats a variety of health issues. How arrogant for her to look to the woman next to her for smiles about her baby. That woman might just be infertile and have wanted a child for years and the teenager next to her with 2 babies is rubbing it in her face.

OK, yeah, that probably was not the case and this young woman was probably just blessed with good young genes. But do you get my point?

My son has speech issues. He is almost 4 and we struggle to understand pretty much everything he says. This toddler I was sitting next to this morning spoke much more clearly than my son does. It makes me sad for him when I encounter children who are at the level where I think he should be. But I very rarely say it out loud. Because there are plenty of children out there with much more serious problems. They have health problems affecting their quality of life. We are so very blessed to have wonderful, beautiful & healthy children and if we have to go to speech therapy with one of them a few times a week, so be it. I am not oblivious enough to think that my child's verbal communication problems are the end of the world.

OK, so I guess you're about to ask, what is your point, Boss Lady, and how exactly what this poor girl you're dumping on being oblivious?
Well, now that I've typed it all out, nothing, I guess. Other than bringing her forty-leven bags of toys to an OB/GYN appointment for her toddler to play with in the waiting area. And the "look at me & my cute kid" face she brought in there as well.

I should've brought my kids. Talk about cuties! Then someone would be blogging about me.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Oooh Ooh, I have an Obliviot story! Okay, if you were to go back to my posts of early August (which I doubt you will because I wouldn't) you will see that Madi's school has some major carpool issues. The lines are very long, and just don't move. It takes an average of 20+ minutes just to move through the carpool line.

So today, as I'm in line to pick Madi up, this Dad who has already picked up his son, is in the line to leave. So he decides to stop, allow his son to get out of the truck, get the umbrella from the back seat...why I don't know. Then the kid can't close the umbrella and he holds up this line that already doesn't move. What are you doing?

Okay, so great post, because everyone can relate!