Saturday, October 6, 2007

What is Your Title?

So, here's the 411 on Boss Lady here. I love God, I am a Christ follower. Now, I say it that way because I feel like the term "Christian" while very descriptive (it means "Little Christ") is way overused. A bit like "Awesome" or "Fabulous" or even "Love." I am a Christian in the fact that I believe Jesus Christ died for me and was resurrected 3 days later. I also strive to live like Christ ("Little Christ").
OK, so that in itself doesn't make me special or any different from any other church attender, does it? I'll answer that for you. No.
But there's more to being a Christ Follower than just believing Jesus is the Son of God. It involves demonstrating to others that you are a Christ Follower. Not by wearing your "I'm a Christian" t-shirt. By acting like one. Basic Golden Rule here. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I tell my children that on a daily basis. Treat others the way you want to be treated. That is what Christ did when he walked among us. He hung around with prostitutes and criminals (tax collectors were specifically named, but that's another blog topic). He didn't hang around with lily white church people who roll their eyes at torn blue jeans or black eyeliner. In fact, he condemned the self righteousness of the Pharisees.
So, what I'm getting at is that I sincerely hope that as a Christ Follower I help people see Christ. Because they're certainly not going to see Him in some churches these days. Some of the most hateful, selfish, self righteous, mean people I have ever met in my life were church people. Yes, it IS sad.
I spent many many years of my life in a Baptist minister's household. And I met some wonderfully kind people in those years, many of whom I am friends with to this day. I also met some frighteningly mean spirited people who didn't seem to care who they hurt along the selfish way.
Now, before you think that I am cynical and sad in need of some major quiet time, hear me out. Yes, I am cynical. I admit it. But I do love my God and I am doing all I can to instill the foundation for that love in my children. We go to an incredible church that is very "non-churchy." Worshiping God, being fed from the Word in such a creative way, and going to a place where my children beg to go is a very exciting . We have met some great friends there as well.
But I am ever cautious, I don't trust church people. I probably won't for quite some time. That's sad as well. But it's something we're working on.
But here is the good news. I'm a CHRIST Follower. Not a Church People Follower.
Church people don't love me unconditionally. Obviously.
Christ does.
Church people don't continue to smile and be proud of me when I make the wrong choice.
Christ does.
Church people don't sacrifice their life for me.
Christ did.
And I am so glad He did.
My goal is not to be a "Church Person." I want to be a "Christ Follower."
The two are very different indeed.

2 comments:

Jim Duggan said...

You wrote, "I spent many many years of my life in a Baptist minister's household. And I met some wonderfully kind people in those years, many of whom I am friends with to this day. I also met some frighteningly mean spirited people who didn't seem to care who they hurt along the selfish way."

Sad, but true. Some of the meanest people I know are in churches yet some of the kindest and most considerate would never darken the door of a church.

I look forward to reading your blogs often and getting to know you a little better through your writing. I hope you will make Jim's Gems a regular part of your reading as well.

Mandy said...

Such a great blog!