Monday, November 5, 2007

It's Monday.

The people at my office throw a big birthday shindig for every birthday. It's silly and fun.
They forgot mine this year. And I didn't say anything, my birthday actually fell on a holiday this year, so no one was at work that particular day.
And I really like the folks I work with. They are a lot of fun and very nice.

However, we have started having staff meetings once a month instead of once a week, and I never know when they are. I supervise a group over in another part of the building, so I'm out of the loop half the time anyway. And I expect the employees I supervise to not acknowledge my birthday. But they did. I got a sweet card and strawberry muffins. Yum. It made me smile. I promise it doesn't take much.
Today, I walked over to the big office to check my mail and fax something. I walked in on a staff meeting - which I didn't know about.

All the following banter is meant to be fun and joking, but it grated on my nerves.

Other Office Employees: "Well, it was nice of you show up!"
Me: "Is this a staff meeting?"
OOE: "Yes - Better late than never!"
Me: "Well, here I am, I guess you all have to stop talking about me now!"
OOE: "Ha, ha, ha! Have a seat!"

So I sit down, a little hacked off, but whatever, I'll get over it.
Then I see birthday balloons for someone and as I look at the trash can beside my chair, I see ice cream & cake remnants on a plate.

Damn if it didn't all just flood back that they forgot my stinking birthday! I'm thirty something. I'm not a child. But sometimes things just rub you the wrong way, you know?
I do recall it is OOE #5's birthday, but I didn't sign a card, so I guess I missed that too.

So I sit there and listen to the boring staff meeting things, knowing I really have to get back to my office and WORK. At a pause I take my opportunity.

Me: "I'm sorry, I really have to go, I don't think any of this pertains to me, does it?"
OOE: "No, do you have anything for us?"
Me: "Not really."
OOE: "So why did you come over?" (Joking)
Me: "Because I wasn't invited! So there!" (They think I'm joking.)
OOE: "Ha,ha,ha,ha!"

So, yes, I had my whiney baby moment today, just topped off a busy tired Monday.
No worries, I'm over it and I didn't piss anyone off in the process. I have been known to do so. Just the nature of my personality.
So... I guess I'm growing.

Have a great week! And if it's your birthday..... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

6 comments:

Drew Porterfield said...

Monday's are not fun - but that sounds like your Staff just needs some better leadership...

Someone should have caught that one. Either you're part of the staff or not - someone needs to define that for you - or you'll have to define it for them and that's not the best way to do it.

Forgotten birthday's aside - it's pitiful when church staff's are lacking in true leadership.

Mandy said...

Awww - if I knew when your birthday was I'd of told you Happy Birthday...When is your birthday, lol?

Boss Lady said...

Thank you, Mrs. MandyPoo!! That was a pretty whiney post wasn't it? I promise it is less about the birthday than it seems!! LOL!

Mandy said...

BTW, I've written a post about someone's new site...Go check it out!

Daniel said...

well sometimes its good to have a bday party on monday isnt it? sinces there's always monday blues in of office and everyone is so restless, haha.

especially because of the number of projects we are handling, piles of work just makes people dont wanna come back to work on monday.

happy birthday to those who's birthday are coming =)

DanieL

Computer TNT (Tips and Tricks)
- The Technical Websites for the Not-So-Technical People!

Boss Lady said...

yes yes birthdays are made for celebrating! thanks daniel!