Saturday, December 29, 2007

Hugs Today

My friend, Lois, lost her husband over the holidays. She's a good bit older than me and he had been sick for a while, but it was still very sudden.

It was Christmas Eve and they were visiting her sister. They were all laughing and chatting when suddenly he just fell over into his plate. He never regained consciousness and they unplugged his ventilator on Thursday. He died 45 minutes later.

I cannot imagine. The loss of a loved one is traumatic, no matter what time of year, but to lose someone at Christmas or any other memorable holiday is so very sad. What a way to remember each year.

Lois is a strong woman and I know she'll be alright. She has a strong faith. I know it gives her comfort to know that he was smiling and laughing up until the moment he basically died. But my heart hurts for her.

I feel like an especially bad friend because I missed the funeral this morning. Remember, I said DH let me sleep in this morning? I plan on visiting with her soon, and I probably shouldn't have gone anyway, feeling as badly as I have felt this past couple of weeks.

Give your family & friends hugs & kisses & tell them all how much they mean to you. You never know what tomorrow brings, but you know you have this moment, today.

XOXO

1 comment:

justme said...

important post. i am going to hug the fam right now