Friday, February 8, 2008

When I Fall in Love...

Don't worry, I'm still in love with DH. It's just that it's February. 12 years ago this month, we exchanged marriage vows and began our life together as husband and wife.

The Chick told a great story about how she and The Hub met and fell in love, so that made me think, since it is our anniversary month and Valentines are in the air, why not take the time to tell about mine and DH's story?

DH and I met several months before we ever went out on a date. We met at a church picnic, of all things. I thought he was a nice guy. Now, the thing to note here is that I'm a bit shy. When I first meet someone, yes, I am shy. But I do warm up and then it's hard to get me to shut up! The other thing to note is that DH was a new minister on staff at said church. So I met him and then about 10 minutes later he stuck his hand out to me over the pecan pie and introduced himself. (which we had already done) So, I shyly said, "Yes, I know. We met already." I did forget to tell him my name again, like I said, I'm shy.
He will tell you that he thought I was blowing him off. I wasn't!

So, I was away at college but I would come home every so often on the weekends. DH would call my apartment to say hello and let me know what was going on for college students over the weekend. He's a nice guy who never meets a stranger and he's always been that way. So, yes, I was a little clueless, I really thought he called all the college kids.

* Another thing I should mention is that DH was not a 40 year old minister to senior adults or anything like that. He was 24 years old minister to students. It was his job was to hang out with us. So you can see why I might have thought he called everyone! *


My roommates, on the other hand, were wise to DH's motives.

Sunflower: "He TOTALLY likes you."
Smash: "Um, isn't it obvious?"

I don't remember if those were their exact words, but you get the idea. That is how my girls talked back then and they still do. Smash reminded me the other week that it was "SO obvious" that DH liked me back then.

So when I graduated from college and moved the big 40 miles home, we started spending a little more time together. I started hanging out with the college students, it just happened naturally. After a little while, I decided he was a little cute, so maybe he should come with me to a family cookout.

To be continued...

6 comments:

Jim Duggan said...

Ah...the memories. Coleman's Hill...4th of July. That other girl. LOL!

Stephanie said...

HA HA! to Jim! Oh, but don't forget the other other girl, who was never really an other girl, but tried to get her hands on every man who walked through the door.

Jim Duggan said...

You remember her too, Skittle?

Mandy said...

Okay, I was pretty young then, but I'm pretty sure I even know who you are talking about, lol!

Boss Lady said...

I know who the "other girl" is, but who is the "other" other girl?
I'm lost... does that mean I only remember the good stuff or am I getting old?

The Chick said...

That is sweet! And I so loved that you shared yours too! You go, girl!