Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Tis the Season to be an Obliviot

I took Queenie to her Brownie meeting last night and I always enjoy that, we moms are a lot of fun!
But wow, I don't know if you've ever been in a room full of 6 year old girls who are so excited to see each other. 12 of them, to be exact. I used to think that Number One Son's Cub Scout meetings were total chaos (and they are), but they are nothing compared to a First Grade Brownie Girl Scout meeting. Squeals, giggles, laughs, running, skipping and that's just the grown-ups trying to get their attention!

So when Number One Son, The Flying Monkey and I came by to pick Queenie up from her meeting, Number One Son went in to play with some of the girls. They like playing with him, there's a lot of giggling when he gets there.

Like I said, it was pretty chaotic, but pretty typical.

Here's the thing: Girls and boys are two completely different animals. If you don't have girls, you don't understand them. And likewise, if you don't have boys, you don't understand them. It's as simple as that. I have each, and I have a hard enough time understanding sometimes.

Anyway, there was one particular mom who was there picking up her daughter. She only has girls, and so, there you go. I am also learning as an adult that I am not necessarily going to get along with every other adult I meet. Even if our children are friends. I'm a people pleaser, so this one is tough. But back to the story.

So, the girls are off the chain, and Number One Son is playing right in the middle of them. A lone 8 year old boy in the midst of a sea of silly 6 year old girls. Mrs. Thing stops near me and makes a comment.

Mrs. Thing: (rolling her eyes) "It's all that little boy's fault. He got them all fired up."
Me: (uncomfortable chuckle as I'm wondering if she realizes that little boy is my little boy)
Me: "[Number One Son], [Queenie], let's go, dinner's waiting!"
Mrs. Thing: (uncomfortable chuckle while walking away)

Um. Really? I'm glad to know that at 8 years old my son is able to influence an entire room full of girls to act a certain way. He is sure to be a successful rock star or maybe even a politician! (does everyone detect the sarcasm in my "voice?")

At least I can comfort myself in the fact that I was not the one who left the building last night feeling about 2 inches tall. On the other hand, if Mrs. Thing is a true obliviot, it probably didn't even phase her.

The Proud Mother to 3 beautiful, handsome, intelligent and, let's not forget, well behaved children signing off!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Really, you should control your children :)

Ha ha ha, some people just need something to whine about. And some people just can't imagine that their children could be responsible! I guess next week if your son isn't there then it will be the other girls fault?

Jim Duggan said...

I love people. They keep me constantly supplied with material!

Mandy said...

lol, I love the fact that you immediately rounded up the hoodlum that you unleashed on those little girls, and took him home.

Boss Lady said...

Skittle - yes, I meet people on a daily basis who have perfect children. It's really amazing!

Jim - I know, isn't it fun?!?

POO - Oh Mama, I'm telling you, you'll see which gender creates excitement at the family reunions! LOL! My boys are cakewalks! ;)