Monday, January 28, 2008

I'm the Anti-Boycotter

I've always hated when the term "anti" was added to anything. And I don't like "boycott" either. It sounds like too much energy is being exerted on not liking something. If don't like something, I avoid it. Simple as that.

I heard someone use the term othercott once. For instance, if you don't like what a movie "stands for," go see something else. Wow. Sounds pretty easy to me.

We like to othercott things in our household. With 3 children, we have to othercott a lot of things. There would really be no since in getting our knickers in a knot if we didn't like something, our knickers would pretty much be in a knot all the time.

I saw where a federal appeals court OK'd an "anti-abortion" slogan on Arizona license plates. What got me about the article was the "anti-abortion slogan" reference. The license plates were for the Arizona Life Coalition, which is a Pro-Life group. The slogan on the plates is "Choose Life." That's what Pro-Life organizations are supposed to be about. Helping women become educated about other alternatives. I personally am Pro Life. I believe the best choice is to choose life. I think most people would agree, life is a good thing. So I would prefer that a woman who was pregnant choose an avenue other than abortion. And I would prefer that because I personally believe that life begins at conception. That is my opinion. That is what I believe. It does not make me anti-abortion.

Here's why:
There are situations that I personally have never been in that would make a decision like that so difficult.
If I were pregnant and sick and the doctor told DH and me that I would die if I carried to term I don't know what we would decide.
If I had been raped and were pregnant, I have no idea what I would do.
I have never been in those situations. Nor would I want to be.
But what I do know is that every time I was pregnant I declined the prenatal test that detects Down Syndrome in a fetus. It just didn't matter to me. I would've carried the baby anyway.

I know there are plenty of people out there who are true "anti" people. And they do spoil it for the rest of us. I doubt someone who was truly anti-abortion would even bother to care if people were educated about alternatives. See any crazy loud protest for what I think is an example of that. I feel like being anti-something is just a lot of energy wasted that could be directed towards something you are passionately Pro about.

Pro Family. Pro Exercise. Pro Education. Pro Fun. Pro Gardening. Pro Chocolate. Pro Jon Bon Jovi.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Did I hear Pro Chocolate?

Well said Bossy! I actually sat in on a political speach, I mean, sermon Sunday that sadly was not nearly as educated as your post.

Jim Duggan said...

Does that mean if you were a fan of Sonny and Cher that you worked for free?

After all, you would be Pro-Bono. But then again, y'all are too young to know S&C. The beat has not gone on long enough for you.

Boss Lady said...

Skittle: thanks for the compliment! Things like that speech/sermon are why I feel the way I do!

Jim: I had a Cher doll, thank you very much. And I sang "The Beat Goes On" in a variety show when I was a wee teen. Had the lip/tongue/hair thing goin' on and everything. Quite comical I'm sure. I'm glad I don't have it on video.

Mandy said...

lol @ Skittle.

And I, too, declined all the tests while I was pregnant because it didn't matter either way.

The Chick said...

You are so funny and cute. Right on too!

BTW, I am pro John Kasinsky myself.

Boss Lady said...

Oh, good one, Chick... I will definitely NOT be othercotting his new movie with George.
What more could a girl ask for in a movie? Other than Jon? :)